Lent and AMADEUS

Not that the two have anything in common...

Anyway, I gave up buying books for Lent. It is a destructive passion. Anyway, so far so good. I am a frequent library patron...something we should all be happy about!

Also, last night, I saw Theater Tuscaloosa's performance of Amadeus. AMAZING!!! Who knew we could put on something that well done! Everyone was wonderful. In spite of the unfair review in the Crimson White, Terry Olivet was great as Joseph (spelling different, I think). Anyway, the play totally floored me. I saw the movie version when I was about nine-years-old (my parents never censored anything). The movie literally changed my life. I have loved it ever since. It made me love opera and helped me understand (though I didn't know it at the time) important aspects of the human mind and character. Well, the play (significantly different, and in some ways richer, than the movie) changed me life as well. I enjoy the theater, generally, but last night's performance made me actually love the theater. I was on the fourth row, center, and could see the facial expressions and emotions perfectly. I am entirely overwhelmed. The quality of acting is amazing. The play was almost three hours long, but I only felt as if I were there for 15 or 20 minutes. I wish I could see it again, but it just isn't possible!

I am going to see Romeo and Juliet, put on by UA, on Sunday....will update when that is over...."Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona, where we lay our scene...."

Comments

Popular Posts