A Great Day

This morning, I drove to Birmingham to meet up with a friend of mine, Melissa. We met when both of us joined Team in Training and prepared for a full marathon back in 2004...I can't believe it was that long ago! We were both fairly slow, but over the many miles that we walked and ran/jogged, Melissa and I forged a friendship out of stories (funny, sad, personal), show tunes (to get us through those miles when you "hit the wall"), and our woes about graduate school. At the time, she had just started her PhD program in Marketing and I was finishing up my master's degree in English. Last year, I was in her wedding and this is the first time that I have seen her since then (because she and her husband live in Indiana now).


(Melissa and I at her graduation party a couple of years ago.)

Anyway, we had a long lunch and then another chat over coffee. It was great to see her again! It is too bad that she lives so far away. :(

On the drive up to Birmingham, I started thinking about a lot of things. I am still sad over the events of the last five days or so. Even though my family was not directly related to my friend's tragedy in her family, it is still just so sad to me. It has been such a troubling time and I have another depressing thing (not related to my friend) to take care of tomorrow. I can't get into the Christmas holidays at all. It is like everything is happening at such a distance. Nothing is breaking through to even make me feel a little excited about Christmas. Ugh. In any case, I will keep trying and I know that I will enjoy seeing my family on Christmas day, regardless. And I told my cousin Jeff that we are taking some real pictures on that day! I don't have any really good recent photos.

In other news, I did find (or maybe it found me) a great book in the dollar pile at Books-a-Million. I will be writing about it on here soon.

Comments

Popular Posts