Black Swan

Today, Jeff (my cousin) and I went to see Black Swan. Wow. I am totally stunned. I am not a Natalie Portman fan at all, but she was amazing in this film. (As was every other actor cast in a part in the movie...beautiful and tragic and true.)




Surprisingly for me and you, I am not going to say a lot about this movie. First of all, it is still very new and a thriller in many ways...and I don't like spoilers. Secondly, the movie will be different for everyone who sees it. It is about many different things. The overarching idea is the destructive nature of the quest for perfectionism. Many of us can identify with that concept. And when I watched the movie, I recognized that a lot of my own destructive nature/habits and my approach to life can be very like Nina's before she becomes the Black Swan. There were points when I wanted to cry and when I hated myself as I watched, because I am her in a lot of ways. For me, it isn't the body thing or dancing, but it is the letting go and just experiencing life thing.



"The only person standing in your way is you."--Thomas Leroy


The above quote is from a moment between Nina and Thomas, the ballet director (I guess that would be his title). Anyway, the basic idea is that Nina won't allow herself to get in touch with her real self. She considers it to be a forbidden, dark side of herself, but really it is just the side of her that is authentic. However, due to many circumstances (crazy upbringing included), she translates finding the life within her into doing all kinds of forbidden or dark things. And isn't this what so many do today? We think that we become interesting by doing outrageous things (now, that is not to say that everything she does is so outrageous, but you get my point). Really, we just deaden ourselves. Thomas, the director, is hesitant to allow her to dance the part of the Black Swan because she isn't aware of anything that makes her "human." She can't express her sensual nature on the stage because she has repressed it. And he is right...but the ending...and I am not talking about the literal ending but something that he says to her at the end...well, it was all about the performance and never really about her. Ugh. Cryptic, I know. But just see it. It is graphic and sexual and for "mature" audiences. But the film is amazing.

And this is just one aspect of the interpretation...there are layers and layers...just amazing and haunting.

I still can't believe Social Network won the Golden Globe. Idiots.

Comments

Popular Posts