I am just stuck on it...

See previous post: "Come for me, Gmork! I am Atreyu!".

Well, last night my dog woke me up at 1 a.m. (as usual these days...poor thing...he is so old), and I couldn't get back to sleep. I finally found my copy of The Neverending Story and happened to open up to just that scene. Now, some believe (and I am one of them) that this novel is actually related to the Holocaust...an allegory of sorts...and the scene with Gmork (and, really, almost every scene with Bastian and Atreyu when you think about their orphanhood) still gives me chills.

Here is some of it from the book (much better)...

Atreyu is from Fantastica (Fantasia in the movie = the imagination...therefore, Atreyu is also a product of the imagination. Gmork could be a stand in for evil, the Nazi beliefs, etc...whatever he is, he is terrifying and horrible and very much into manipulation). Gmork begins when asked what is in the human world and what Atreyu would be there...

"You ask me what you will be there. But what are you here? What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story. Do you think you're real? Well yes, here in your world you are. But when you've been through the Nothing, you won't be real anymore. You'll be unrecognizable. And you will be in another world...You will bring delusion and madness into the human world...there are many kinds of delusion...That's why humans hate Fantastica and everything that comes from here. They want to destroy it. And they don't realize that by trying to destroy it they multiply the lies that keep flooding the human world. For these lies are nothing other than creatures of Fantastica who have ceased to be themselves and survive only as living corpses, poisoning the souls of men with their fetid smell. But humans don't know it. Isn't that a good joke?"


One day, I want to talk about this book a bit more...unfortunately, the dissertation calls. :)

Comments

Popular Posts