My new favorite line(s) from a book:

"I was a young woman and all around me things ripened when I passed, or they were made new again. ...You could not understand the girl who met the General without meeting the girl who flung her clothes off for the thrill of being watched, who remained chaste even so, and who slippered about the streets like a Helen without a war and no idea how to start one."

(Really, it is all of the buildup that makes these lines great...that and the Helen of Troy reference.)


(Source: http://images.indiebound.com/653/581/9780446581653.jpg)

A Separate Country by Robert Hicks

(Note: This is a novel that takes place in the years after the Civil War. I rarely read Civil War-era historical fiction, but I kept passing this book and it kept calling to me. I am a bit superstitious about these things...if a book keeps popping up and "calling out" to me, I eventually buy it and am almost always glad that I do. So, I picked it up and began reading it during my babysitting job the other night...after the child was in bed, of course! It is truly amazing. The writing is beautiful and the author is truly gifted in matching voices to personalities. Lush, exotic, horrifying, brutal, southern gothic, amazing...all of these words apply...and I am only 80 pages into the novel.

Hood, a major figure in the story, had to do with the Battle of Franklin in Tennessee. And, I am terrible with my Civil War history...but I have actually, believe it or not, been to the Battle of Franklin site. My mom helped open a store up there once and I went to visit her for a long weekend. She was there for three weeks and I missed her, so I decided to pay her a visit. Anyway, she had to work 16 hour days and had the flu, so I only saw her for lunch and an hour at night. I kept myself busy by going to places around Nashville...and when I say "places," I mean bookstores. Anyway, the day was coming to an end and I was bored, so I followed some really bad signage and ended up at the Battle of Franklin site. Now, I had no clue what I was doing and I had missed the last tour by 20 minutes. The lady behind the desk was so sweet and she let me run to catch up with the tour for free. I am so glad that happened, because it was amazing and made history come alive. The tour guide was phenomenal. Such a tragic site and period in our history. I may live in Alabama, but I am not a "rebel"...and I ache when I try to comprehend what that time was like and how awful it must have been.)

Comments

Hanners said…
Have you read his _The Widow of the South_? It is wonderful!
Susie said…
No, but I really want to read it! Everyone has been telling me how great it is!

Popular Posts