Forgotten Tuscaloosa/Alabama/South

I still don't know just yet how to talk about the tornado. I am not inconvenienced horribly by the tornado damage (I have my life and I have a home), but I did experience it and I am still living in the weird space that has become my town. I still haven't quite processed things just yet. I was fine until yesterday morning when I finally made it into work (navigating routes through and around the city is tricky). When I pulled into the parking deck across from my office, I just started to cry because it was the first normal thing I have done in days.

But, more importantly, I am getting really angry about the way the news organizations have forgotten us down here. I realize that the news about bin Laden is important to report, but we have a catastrophe going on down here in our own country. Like I said, I don't undermine it, but we have serious problems right now. At least our own local paper only put a diminished headline about his death and devoted the rest of the space to our own needs.

But on a larger scale, this is what we have: On Google's top news links today, there wasn't a single mention of Tuscaloosa or tornadoes or anything.

Ryan Seacreast was a top news link...but nothing about here.

And that has nothing to do with Google. It has everything to do with the interests of the people on Google. Says a lot.

And CNN.com only has two pathetic links...while Fox News...well, I didn't see a single link there. It is disturbing, but this always happens when things like this occur in our part of the country. People around the country (and the world, for that matter) talk a big talk when they discuss wanting to improve things in the southern United States, but getting things done isn't the most reliable process. They show up immediately, get a few interviews and create awe and excitement about the damage...and, then...well, nothing.

Right now, we need action.

For President Obama and the First Lady to come here was a huge deal. We appreciate it so much. No one cared about political differences that day (though we have plenty of democrats here!). We just want support and to know that we aren't forgotten.

And, then, yesterday, Charlie Sheen showed up. At least he came.

There are a handful of celebrities and publicly important people out there who are trying to advocate for support for us. We are eternally grateful.

But the majority of the people here are just regular citizens and workers from around the country. And they are WONDERFUL. We love them so much and appreciate them so much. We can use their help and are grateful, but this recovery and relief effort needs more attention. I want to see more advocacy from celebrities, politicians, charities, etc. This is a second huge blow to a state that was already suffering economically. We had the BP Oil spill, and now we have this.

And, I don't expect that we are the top news...but we deserve more coverage and attention than we are getting.

But, to the rest of the world more interested in Ryan Seacrest than you are about the tragedy that is happening here: you seriously need to examine your priorities.

Comments

Tommy said…
I like your blog.
I follow it now.

take care!
Susie said…
Dear Tommy,

I am glad you like the blog! Thank you for following!

Susie

Popular Posts