Book Dating: I've been around the block a time or two.

No, I still am not in the mood to post a review of The Chronology of Water...not sure how long it is going to take me to do that.

No, today, I must alert you to the book I picked up last night:


(Source: http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2011/04/dont-breathe-word-by-jennifer-mcmahon.html. A review is on that site, too.)

Oh, wow. Now, I can't say for sure because I haven't finished it yet, but if this book continues to draw me in as much as it did from the first page, then we have a winner!

And that is my subject for today: book dating.

I have decided that buying books is a lot like dating. You search and search for the perfect book, one with which you share a perfect chemistry.

Those of you who are readers know exactly what I am talking about, right? The book doesn't have to be literary or anything--it just has to connect with you and feed you in some way. You fall into it, becoming totally absorbed to the point that you forget time passage. It is like the perfect date or conversation or something.

Some of the books I had this experience with in the past are:


(Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29044.The_Secret_History)


(Source: http://knowledgelost.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/014043418601lzzzzzzz2.jpg?w=189)



(Source: http://www.boomtron.com/2005/07/book-review-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/)



(Source: https://www.broadviewpress.com/product.php?productid=96)

As you can see, lots of genres. Something about each of these really made me connect with them...I could go on, but I won't. There are many other books I could add, but there just isn't a lot of time!

I read. A lot. I read wildly and with abandon, rushing here and there, not caring about genre or author or anything. I just want to find that next rush of connection with the printed page that will allow me to totally dissolve into it. Maybe reading a really good book (however you define it) is like the ultimate sensual experience.

If my dating life mirrored my reading life, where I search constantly for that elusive rush of euphoria that I get when I find just the right one...well, I would probably be considered promiscuous. :)

Comments

Amy said…
I've only read one of the books in this post. I absolutley love Wuthering Heights, but I've been seriously considering starting the Harry Potter series. I'm going to try to find the others too. They look interesting. I'm really enjoying your blog!
Susie said…
Amy, I love Wuthering Heights, too! The others are a very small selection of the ones I love...but I do love them! The Harry Potter series is a favorite, but I have to be honest and say that it took some effort to get through the first two books. From book three or four onward...well, they are wonderful!

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I enjoyed your posts about Laura Ingalls Wilder--love those books! I hate to admit it, but I haven't read the "Anne" books yet! They are on my list. I am a huge fan of Wilder and Burnett, and my friends keep telling me to read all of the "Anne" books. UGH!! Too many things to read!

Anyway, thanks, again!
Amy said…
I finished The Secret History today. I really enjoyed it, and I probably never would have read it if not for your post, so thanks. Aswome book!
Susie said…
Amy, I am so glad you liked it! It is a dark book and people tend to either love it or hate it. I just love the atmosphere and the voice. I heard that it took Tartt 10 years to write that book! It is just amazing. I just remember falling into and forcing myself to read just a few pages at a time towards the end, so that it would last longer!

Anyway, I am happy you enjoyed it!

Susie

Popular Posts