Murder, Mystery, and Mayhem Monday

I am going to forgo the obvious and NOT talk about the Casey Anthony trial...because everyone else is talking about it and I really just don't see the point of adding my voice to the circus. So, I thought that I would talk about one of my favorite mystery series today.



In general, I don't read a lot of mysteries. When I do, I need a series and I need an author capable of creating really appealing characters (well, appealing to me, anyway). There are a few series like this that I have come across, but my favorite happens to be Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series.



I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series! I can't recommend it enough! Emily is smart and complex...just believable in general. Her love interest, Colin, is amazing as well...sexy but not stifling. He is alpha without being demeaning. I love him. Even more than Nathaniel Bonner from Sara Donati's Into the Wilderness...and that is saying something. :)



Anyway, the series takes place in Victorian England (well, for the most part) and Emily, when everything begins, is a widow trying to solve the mystery of her husband's death...even though she wasn't fond of him to begin with. The first book, And Only to Deceive, is amazingly well written and has enough depth to make you want to read all of the others. The relationship between Colin and Emily, though it has its problems, doesn't feel forced or convenient, as so many mystery romantic pairings often do...and there is nothing boring about them.



Also, when I moved into the second book, A Poisoned Season, I didn't feel that some random mystery had been concocted just to keep the series going. That is a big problem for me when I pick up a mystery series. I don't really like that crazy things have to keep happening for a mystery to be written.



In any case, at this point, there are five (soon to be six) mysteries in the series that follows Emily and Colin throughout their relationship. Again, I highly recommend them! I will be first in line to buy A Crimson Warning (comes out in October)!!



For more information, visit Tasha Alexander's web site.

PS: Happy 4th of July!

Comments

Popular Posts