Taste Test Thursday

:)

So, on Thursdays I am going to share a favorite recipe or food related information. Today, I thought I would just post a link to one of my absolute favorite dishes EVER:


Jamie Oliver's Perfect Roast Chicken.

Trust me: if you like chicken, you will love this recipe. And it is really easy to make.

I had an opportunity to eat at his restaurant in Oxford, while I was there with the UA at Oxford program a couple of years ago. It was amazing.

The faculty and I went out one evening during the last week of our trip, and we ended up at Jamie's Italian. From the outside, it doesn't look particularly lovely, but the food was fantastic...so fantastic that one of the first things I did when I returned to the states was to buy one of his cookbooks.

I also appreciate that he is trying to do something good for US children and families, teaching so many people about fresh food and good eating habits. A good meal, with really fresh ingredients, is a healing thing. It nourishes and it makes you feel connected to the earth when you prepare it and eat it, and the experience of putting effort into a meal connects you with those around you. We don't think about that as much as we should in this country. Here, everything is so timed and busy. A meal should be an event, at least most of the time. We should take time for it and enjoy the food and the people.

So, make this incredibly easy roast chicken, break out some wine (or, just water, if you aren't into the alcohol), and enjoy the time it takes to eat a meal.

Comments

Amy said…
I love to cook! I think it's awsome you got to eat in his restaurant. He's one my favorite tv chefs. He seems so real and down to earth. Which one of his cookbooks did you buy? Would you recommend it?
Susie said…
Amy, I was so excited to eat there! It really was amazing. I like him a lot, too. He is fun and tries to make cooking fun and doable. The book I bought is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Jamie-Oliver-Jamies-Food-Revolution/dp/B0030TVE4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310052429&sr=8-2.

Now, I am not sure, but it looks like there is a new version with a different cover. I don't know if it is the same book or not, so that I why I am sending you this link. Everything I have ever made out of the book is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

The hardback is pricey, so I actually bought my copy used off of Amazon. But, yes: I would definitely recommend it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Popular Posts