Friday, October 07, 2011

Carmilla, by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

(Source: Wikipedia commons)

Want a great Halloween read? Check out Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla. Written in 1872, this short book is a gem that many people don't read very often. It combines many of the predictable aspects of vampire stories as we know them today, but there are some surprising twists. Though we are never in doubt about what is going on or who the vampire is, Carmilla lets us see origins of the modern vampire story that stretch from Bram Stoker's Dracula to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and many more. I have a full review of the novella coming up on Tuesday in my new column, "Beyond Retro," at MyVampFiction.com. The goal of the column is to look at nineteenth century (sometimes older) stories of vampires, werewolves, and any other paranormal event.

Oh, yes. I am completely plugging my column and the site. :)

But, anyway, you really should give Carmilla a read. I was not expecting to be as drawn into this story as I was. I always knew what was happening, yet Le Fanu's creation of tension in the plot was amazing.

The story is available for free in many locations. Here are some links:

Online: Carmilla

For Kindle (free): Carmilla on Kindle

For Nook: Carmilla for Nook. NOTE: This is not free. For some reason, Barnes & Noble is charging Nook users $.99 for a download of something that is in the public domain for free. Just my opinion, but that is so wrong. If you are a Nook user, you really should complain if B&N charges you for a random copy of a public domain work. It is different if you are paying for an edited version--like a Penguin or Oxford Classics edition. But just a copy of what is free online? I don't think so.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm going to read this Susie. Thanks for posting!