Monday, October 17, 2011

"Witch's Sister" movie (based on book by P. R. Naylor)

When I was a little kid, this was my most favorite movie EVER. I loved it. I still have the VHS tape of it. (My parents taped it for me off of Showtime, I think.) Anyway, my tape is in horrible shape, and I have searched for it for years. Well, someone finally uploaded it to YouTube!!! It is cheesy and very late 70s/early 80s...but it is just something bizarre from my childhood. Watching it was such an imaginative experience for me, for some reason. The best part of this movie is just that there really is no resolution. And it is just downright creepy. The girl who plays the older sister (Judith) is great at creating mystery. Here is Part 1...

UPDATE:

Oh, CRAZY!! Here is a homemade trailer for my other favorite movie as a kid: the movie version of Anna to the Infinite Power!! It was also so creepy and about cloning!! Again: super cheese. But I loved it.

Both of these movies are based on books:

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Witch's Sister and Mildred Ames's Anna to the Infinite Power (which I think is out of print now...but you can find it used, and I found one at my local library book sale years ago).

4 comments:

E Gunther said...

Thanks for this post. I live right up the road from the house used in this movie. In fact, my house is very similar in style but slightly smaller in scale. I have been unable to find this movie but am glad to see that it is on YouTube. Love the architecture of these old Victorian homes.

Susan Reynolds said...

Wow! That is awesome! I loved the house in the movie!

mindy middleton said...

Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for this movie for years! Do you remember a showtime short from the same time period about two little boys (brothers Evan and Joshy)? Or the movie Just Friends about a teen girl who's older sister is pregnant and then she finds out she's pregnant and the guy leaves her for another girl? I believe it was an Aussie film.

Susan Reynolds said...

Mindy, I don't remember those, but I was watching them often! I loved Witch's Sister, though, and I have found that YouTube (if you can get the search terms correct) often has a lot of "after school specials." You might be able to type in the character names and network...worth a shot!