2012: The Year of Dickens

Charles Dickens was born in 1812, so many scholars and fans of the Victorian author are celebrating his 200th birthday with special conferences, events, publications, and new editions of his works.

(Source: Library of Congress)


It is my personal mission to finish reading all of Dickens's novels in 2012 (there are several that I have never read).

I would like to challenge all readers to finish at least one Dickens novel in 2012. If you have never read a book by Charles Dickens, try Great Expectations, The Old Curiosity Shop, or even A Christmas Carol. If you have read all of his novels, commit to reading his short stories or plays, or even pick up a biography (the standard is Peter Ackroyd's Dickens, but Claire Tomalin just published Dickens: A Life).

There is no excuse for not finding his novels! They are always at libraries (public, school, and university), and there are free e-texts in abundance.

A good bibliography: Wikipedia Charles Dickens Bibliography

Comments

Trish said…
heh, sounds like a good challenge! I have yet to finish a Dickens novel. . . and I've tried a few. It's funny, I keep going straight to them in the library and reading a couple of pages here and there - The Old Curiosity Shop and Bleak House - I keep daring myself to bring one home already! But then I don't . . .

2012 might just be the year.

Popular Posts