Christmas Carols that Originated During the Victorian Era...

Oh, yes. It is time for me--once again--to tell you how much the Victorian era still lives! Here is a list of popular carols that were written during the nineteenth-century. Some originated in other languages before being translated into English during the mid to late nineteenth century. Source for more information: Christmas Carols.

1. Angels We Have Heard on High

2. O Holy Night

3. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

4. Good King Wenceslas

5. I Saw Three Ships (origins appear to be unknown, but likely a Victorian carol)

6. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

7. Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

8. Silent Night (technically, it was written during the Romantic period, but it is nineteenth century)

9. We Three Kings of Orient Are

If you think about it, each of these songs share similarities in their composition. There are repeated elements, and after a while I started being able to guess which ones were written in the nineteenth century. Anyway, I just thought that this was a fun little thing to have on here today, as my Christmas holiday break begins in approximately an hour and a half!! Hooray!

It is the perfect continuation of what I started last night, when I watched A Christmas Carol.

Nothing says Christmas like Scrooge. Long live Dickens!!!!

Comments

Amy said…
Hi Susie! Merry Christmas! I love this list of Christmas Carols, and my daughter expecially loves this version of A Christmas Carol. She can watch it over and over. I hope you have a great Christmas and very Happy New Year!!!
Susie said…
Thanks, Amy! I hope your Christmas was great and that you have a great New Year, too!

Popular Posts