Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Sleep Helps So Much. Also, here is my 2012 Goodreads Reader Challenge List!

I actually slept last night...even better, I almost slept through the entire night. I had almost forgotten what that felt like. Last night, I was a bundle of emotion and nervousness and anxiety (as usual these days). I crawled into bed around 9:30 and downloaded some relaxation music. The next thing I knew: nothing. I woke up and realized the music was still playing. I cut it off and went back to sleep. It was nice.

I am not 100% by any  means, but I am trying my best to get there. One thing that helps me is to make plans for something that I enjoy. Of course, one of the greatest pleasures/indulgences in my life is reading. So, I joined the Goodreads Reader Challenge. This is a great one because you set your own goals. I don't add everything to my Goodreads list during the year, but this year my goal is to read 50 books. I probably already do that anyway (probably more), but it seemed a reasonable number for me. So, this morning, I made up my preliminary list (which has more than 50, but I wanted to give myself options). So, here is my list. Some are books I need to read for my dissertation or for MyVampFiction, and others are just books that I want to read (in no particular order and subject to change):


1. Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope
2. No Name by Wilkie Collins
3. Deep Kiss of Winter by Kresley Cole 
4. Pleasure of a Dark Prince by Kresley Cole
5. Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole
6. Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole
7. Lothaire by Kresley Cole (not out yet)
8. Heartless by Gail Carriger
9. Timeless by Gail Carriger (not out yet)
10. Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
11. The Lady in the Tower by Alison Weir
12. The Secret Power by Marie Corelli
13. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens (have read this once...but so long ago...and need a fresh reading for the dissertation)
14. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (see note above)
15. The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
16. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
17. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
18. Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence
19. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
20. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (again, read this a long time ago...but I need a fresh reading)
21. The Hand of Ethelberta by Thomas Hardy
22. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
23. The Bone Magician by F. E. Higgins
24. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
25. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
26. The Healing Power of Mind by Tulku Thondup
27. Awareness by Anthony De Mello
28. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
29. The Castle by Franz Kafka
30. War and Peace OR Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
31. Charles Dickens: A Life by Claire Tomalin
32. The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
33. The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna
34. The Heavenly Twins by Sarah Grand
35. Wormwood by Marie Corelli
36. New York Dead by Stuart Woods
37. Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
38. Stormchasers by Jenna Blum
39. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
40. Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
41. Illiad by Homer
42. Chance by Joseph Conrad
43. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
44. The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare
45. Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare by Stephen Greenblatt
46. Buddha by Deepak Chopra
47. Angel Time by Anne Rice
48. The Confessions by St. Augustine
49. Metamorphoses by Ovid
50. The Four Feathers by A. E. W. Mason
51. The Narrative of Sojourner Truth by Sojourner Truth
52. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
53. Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
54. Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope
55. The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope
56. The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope
57. Christ the Lord: Road to Cana by Anne Rice
58. The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice
59. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
60. The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
61. Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Yes, I have some big books in there! The purpose of adding more is to give me some options if I don't want to read Augustine's Confessions, for example. (!!)

UPDATE: Note--the title above that I have marked through have officially been taken off of my "must read" list due to the fact that MVF will be shutting down. I may still read them, but they aren't priority because I don't have a review due. (But I am sure that I will still read the Cole books and Carriger's series. I love them!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

That's an awesome list!

Susie said...

I hope I make it through!