Wednesday, January 18, 2012

STOP SOPA AND PIPA

Do you like this blog? Then you need to advocate for the rejection of SOPA and PIPA. The proposed legislation will shut down blogs like mine. It will shut down your blog, too. Do you mention companies? Do you link to other sites? Do you post book reviews?  All of these would become illegal due to SOPA. You can be shut down and face other penalties as well.

See my post below with the link to the YouTube Evita clip? The clip of the Hunger Games preview? Yep. In violation of SOPA and PIPA. Am I making any money off of this blog? NO. Is this legislation wrong? YES.

Essentially, by posting book reviews, product commentary, clips freely available on YouTube, and other items, I am giving free publicity to authors. I am not posting full movies on my site. I am not offering links to books pirated from publishers. But under SOPA and PIPA, I am considered a criminal.

To find out more, visit:

Stop American Censorship

SOPA will Kill Your Mom Blog

SOPA Will Take Us Back to the Dark Ages

TechDirt article

BBC article

Question answered

That's right. I just posted a link. Deal with it.

Just because I don't support SOPA or PIPA doesn't mean that I support pirating. Anyone with sense would not support pirating. When I first heard of SOPA, I thought that it was a good idea. But the wording of the law goes way beyond protecting copyrighted material. It places in jeopardy freedom of information, intellectual freedom, and a host of other rights that we should have. Though the bill is couched in language that appears to say that the targets are foreign pirate operations, that is simply not the case. So, contact your congresspeople. Sign petitions. Contact the president. Do whatever you need to do, because we are all in danger of losing freedoms.

And, by the way lawmakers, passing this doesn't have a chance in hell of stopping piracy--and you know it. Stop being pressured by the likes of Hollywood and grow a backbone.

Last time I checked, we weren't supposed to be a communist country.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Well said Susie, and I agree 100%! Can I link to your blog when I do a post about this. I feel like you explain it much better than I can. Thanks!

Susie said...

Amy, Thanks! Absolutely you can link up! Hope you are doing well!