Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ahh...Valentine's Day: My Love/Hate Relationship

I really cannot stand the "holiday" that is Valentine's Day. I mean, I really don't want stuffed animals or balloons or cheesy cards. I will never turn down chocolate, however.

The holiday is over-hyped and rather dull, and on top of all of that you have to fight to get into a restaurant because this is the "only" day that you must insist on being taken out for a nice dinner.

Oh, well. I guess some people really like it...but it never has been for me.

On the other hand, I do believe that we should celebrate love and not wait around for a designated day of the year to express it in material ways. So, I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine's Day.

Still, in the hopes that I could get into this holiday a bit more, I decided to try to list the five most romantic couples from literature:

1. Margaret Hale and John Thornton (from Gaskell's North and South).

2. Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester (from Bronte's Jane Eyre).

3. Elizabeth Middleton and Nathaniel Bonner (from Donati's Into the Wilderness).


4. Jo March and Friedrich "Fritz" Bhaer (from Alcott's Little Women).

5. Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy (from Austen's Pride and Prejudice).

No comments: