Monday, February 06, 2012

Finally...a weekend!

First of all, I want to say that I have the best family in the world. Jessica, that was the sweetest thing to offer me the plane ticket to go see Elizabeth. If her treatments were under control and I wasn't two weeks behind schedule in production, I would take you up on the offer. Thank you, and I love you.

Friday ended a very long thirteen days of working. I was exhausted, but I needed something to get me out of the work mode. Jeff (my cousin) and I (along with his friend, Katie) went to see The Woman in Black. I LOVED IT!! The film is beautifully shot and scary without too much gore. Amy (at I Ponder the Page) and I had a similar experience, I think, because I, too, had so much fun watching the teenagers around me. They screamed and jumped so much! Anyway, it was exactly what I needed. I love a good Victorian ghost story, and this one didn't disappoint.

On Saturday, I slept a good bit and read. I just finished The Servants' Quarters by Lynn Freed.


This is one of those books that I loved for its quietness and meaning. Essentially, the author gives us a retelling of a mixture between "Beauty and the Beast" and Jane Eyre's relationship with Rochester (also a recasting of "Beauty and the Beast" in some respects, even though Jane says she is plain). The book takes place in South Africa after WWII. The heroine is a young girl who comes of age under the watchful eye of a manor owner, Mr. Harding. It is sad and beautiful...and it is another discount book I found in Books-a-Million. I often have a lot of luck finding unusual books in the bargain sections, and I am so glad I found this one. It is a short and easy read, so check it out if you can. (New York Times Book Review Here)

Yesterday, I read a lot and watched the Super Bowl...well, up through Madonna's awesome halftime show, anyway! I really enjoyed it and loved the homage paid to Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra! Anyway, that is about it for the weekend. I am trying to catch up on some work now...and I need to get back to business on the dissertation, too!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy to hear you had good weekend! And I'm glad you liked The Woman in Black! I did too (: