Elizabeth Lemon, My Dear Friend, I Will Miss You.




My dear friend Elizabeth passed away today due to complications from esophageal cancer. She remains one of the most wonderful friends I have had the privilege to know. We met in library school back  in the 2004-2005 school year and, despite the age difference, became close very quickly.

But Elizabeth and I became more than friends...more like sisters. During our second semester, we had to travel back and forth to Gadsden for a class once a month. It was during one of those trips that I experienced some devastating news and Elizabeth helped me through it, telling me her own life story that made my small loss seem totally insignificant. That wasn't her point, of course, but out of that evening a connection was strengthened between us. Over the years, we never lost touch or our ability to talk about anything.

Yes, Elizabeth: it was indeed a "God thing" between us.

I love you and miss you already. But I am so glad that you slipped out of this world and into the next with significant ease. You had already suffered so much. I send love to Chuck, Mary, William, Christian, and Mary Porter...and to the scores of people who loved you. I wish that I could have seen you one more time. We were planning on that trip to Gulf Shores in a couple of weeks, and you wanted me there with you for a short while. I would have been so happy to have shared that time with you, as we talked about it last Sunday during our weekly phone call.

You have gone down a road I cannot travel yet, but my love and memories are with you. Rest peacefully, sweet friend.

Comments

Cathy Copeland said…
That's a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that Elizabeth touched your life so profoundly. May we all have friendships that remain so dear.
Susie said…
Thanks, Cathy. She was such a wonderful friend, and I am lucky to have known her.
Anonymous said…
nice idea.. thanks for sharing....

Popular Posts