Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Book Quotes

Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish for giving us a great prompt this week!

My "Top Ten" for quotes are...

1. From Charles Dickens's Bleak House:
"The light is come upon the dark benighted way. Dead! Dead, your Majesty. Dead, my lords and gentlemen. Dead, Right Reverends and Wrong Reverends of every order. Dead, men and women, born with Heavenly compassion in your hearts. And dying thus around us, every day."

2. From J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
 "Always."

3. From Donna Tartt's The Secret History:
"Beauty is terror. Whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it. And what could be more terrifying and beautiful, to souls like the Greeks or our own, than to lose control completely? To throw off the chains of being for an instant, to shatter the accident of our mortal selves? ...If we are strong enough in our souls we can rip away the veil and look that naked, terrible beauty right in the face; let God consume us, devour us, unstring our bones. Then spit us out reborn." 

4. From Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist:
"So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you."

5.From Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights:
"Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. You said I killed you--haunt me then. The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered the earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

6. From J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

7. From Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South:
"I take it that 'gentleman' is a term that only describes a person in his relation to others; but when we speak of him as 'a man', we consider him not merely with regard to his fellow men, but in relation to himself, - to life – to time – to eternity. A cast-away lonely as Robinson Crusoe- a prisoner immured in a dungeon for life – nay, even a saint in Patmos, has his endurance, his strength, his faith, best described by being spoken of as 'a man'. I am rather weary of this word 'gentlemanly' which seems to me to be often inappropriately used, and often too with such exaggerated distortion of meaning, while the full simplicity of the noun 'man', and the adjective 'manly' are unacknowledged." 

8. From Anne Rice's Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt:
“I wasn't sent here to find angels! I wasn't sent here to dream of them. I wasn't sent here to hear them sing! I was sent here to be alive. To breathe and sweat and thirst and sometimes cry.” 

9. From Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland:
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.”

10. From Gail Carriger's Soulless:
“The voice was low and tinged with a hint of Scotland. It would have caused Alexia to shiver and think primal monkey thoughts about moons and running far and fast, if she'd had a soul. Instead it caused her to sigh in exasperation and sit up.” 

12 comments:

Trish said...

The Alchemist! Or course! I didn't even think to look there. Such a quotable book, isn't it?!

Anne said...

Great quotes! I love so many of the books on your list.

bookishnerd.com said...

Harry Potter! Love them!

Susie said...

Trish--it is a great book!

Anne--Thanks!

"Bookishnerd.com"--and I love yours from HP and the Half-Blood Prince!

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Animation courses said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff you post.

Keri said...

"Always" pretty much sums up how I feel about the entire Harry Potter series. It doesn't hurt that Severus Snape is my favourite fictional character either. ♥

Susie said...

Thanks, Animation courses!

Susie said...

Keri, I feel the same way! I love Severus Snape.

Amy said...

My favorites are #4 and #5! Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favorites, and I absolutely love that quote. I haven't read The Alchemist...love that quote though.

Susie said...

I love Wuthering Heights, too, Amy! That book is just amazing. The Alchemist is great, too, and it is a fairly quick read (not too long).

Nurse said...

I love Alice in Wonderland and Winnie-the-Pooh for great quotes about life.