Top Ten Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit!

 As usual, "Top Ten Tuesdays" prompts come from The Broke and the Bookish! Check them out!

Top Ten Books to Get in the Halloween Spirit!

I used to love books that frightened me so bad that I couldn't read them alone. I haven't found one of those in a long time, but I will post some of my favorite spooky reads!

1. The Shining by Stephen King. I remember starting a chapter of this one night when I had the house to myself and being so frightened that I had to put it down until someone came home! A sequel is coming soon, so I can't wait to read it!

2. Hell House by Richard Matheson. Oh. My. God. This book scared me to death when I read it years ago! This book and Stephen King's miniseries Rose Red evolved out of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting. When I was a kid, I couldn't watch The Haunting without becoming so terrified that I thought that I would be sick! It doesn't show anything, but it plays games with your head. Hell House also gets into your head...and it is a heck of a ghost story.

3. The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright. This is a children's book I read when I was about eight years old, I think. Wow. It terrified me then! It is basically about a dollhouse that comes to life and reveals a murder mystery. Very good book!


4. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz and Brett Helquist. I was so addicted to this series as a kid...wow. I loved it! Some stories were scary, some boring, and some were funny. When I was a library assistant in the fifth and sixth grades, we could not keep these in stock! Another classic.


5. Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. You've probably seen the movie, and I think that the movie is fairly close to the book. I love to talk about this one. You can take it in so many directions!

6. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. This classic novel is short and a great read. It has a good pace, and it is just really creepy. 

7. Dracula in Love by Karen Essex. I really enjoyed this sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It is for an adult audience and takes on Mina's story. For more details about this one, see my review here.


8. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Maybe no one else found parts of this book scary, but there is just something about it that really creeps me out.


9. The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter. Extremely creepy feminist horror. Loved it!

10. The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing. This is a great classic. If you haven't checked it out, do so now!



Comments

Sandy said…
New follower! Great list! I love that you added Clockwork Angel. I can see where you'd be freaked out by parts of it. Good choices.

Check out my TTT.

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know
Amy said…
Great list! I've only read one of these, but I think I'm going to go check out a few of the others this weekend! Thanks!

Oh, and after much begging by my daughter...I'm finally reading Harry Potter (:
Susie said…
Thanks, Sandy! I appreciate it!
Susie said…
Thanks, Amy! I am so excited you are reading the HP series!!!! YAY!!!

Popular Posts