As always, "Top Ten Tuesday" is brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Authors in "X" Genre... Well, I usually discuss YA or Romance on this blog, so this time I think I should discuss something different! So, today I will list my...
Top Ten Favorite Authors in the Historical Fiction Genre!
1. Margaret George. I love her historical fiction because I feel so close to the characters. She never disappoints! Here are a few of my favorites by her:
Yes, they are "big" books, but George's writing style is wonderful. I know historical fiction gets a bad rep, but I don't have a problem separating historical fiction from history. I also think that George has a good reputation for being historically accurate.
2. Diana Gabaldon. If you like "time travel" and Scottish history, then you should check out the Outlander series!
3. Some people will hate me for this one, but every now and then, I really like to read a Jean Plaidy book! For a long time, she was the go-to author for books about females in history. Though some would disparage her writing, I don't mind it most of the time. Some of my favorites are...
4. Sara Donati's Into the Wilderness is probably my absolute favorite historical novel ever written. I LOVE IT. Do yourself a favor and grab it. The rest of the series is a bit strange for me, but this first novel is wonderful. Also, if you read Outlander, you will have a little surprise in this book!
5. Hilary Mantel. I really enjoyed Wolf Hall, and I plan to read Bring up the Bodies very soon! PS: It was just announced that she won a SECOND Booker Prize!!! So, one for Wolf Hall and another one for Bring up the Bodies!!!
6. Sara Jeter Naslund: another author who has never disappointed me. I loved Abundance, a Novel of Marie Antoinette.
7. Phillipa Gregory. I loved The Queen's Fool, and I have read several of her other novels. All have been very good!
8. Jenna Blum's Those Who Save Us. This is an amazing story about the Holocaust. It is very difficult to read at times, but the story stays with you.
9. Tracy Chevalier. She has written many historical novels, the most famous of which is Girl with a Pearl Earring. LOVE this book.
10. Alison Weir. She is known for writing non-fiction about history, but she has recently delved into historical fiction. I love reading about Jane Grey, so her book Innocent Traitor is a favorite!