Thursday, February 21, 2013

Abandon by Meg Cabot


Title: Abandon
Author: Meg Cabot
Genre: YA Paranormal
Release Date: 1/1/12 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320
My Rating: 3.5/4 stars

From Amazon.com...
New from #1 New York Times bestselling author Meg Cabot, a dark, fantastical story about this world . . . and the underworld.
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

So...um...yeah. Confession time. This is the book that made me break my New Year's resolution (to not buy books...because...well, I don't really know why...other than to save money and make use of the public library). Anyway, that resolution is looking more insane by the minute, because you all know me and know how I am. I tend to go overboard on the asceticism thing, so I am being more gentle with myself and instead allotting a book budget. ANYWAY...back to this book.

It was an impulse buy. I was feeling kind of bored when I saw this gorgeous cover...and, then, I saw that it was a retelling of the Hades/Persephone myth...and...well, I bought it. And I am really glad that I did, even though my rating seems to indicate otherwise.

Here's the deal:

I thought that most of this book was beautifully done. I like where the story is going, and I have a huge and inappropriate crush on John, the underworld guy. I like the moodiness of the book. I like that the heroine tends to be a bit clueless (though I know several people who hate this), because I have a feeling that I would have been the same way at her age. I also like the manipulation of the mythology. Also, contrary to what other reviewers have stated, there is a ton of stuff going on in this book, which leads me to...

What I didn't like:
Like I said, there is a whole lot of stuff going on in this book. Cabot has mastered the art of holding back information and showing rather than telling. In Abandon, however, this goes a bit overboard for the audience, I think. There are scattered flashbacks and bits of information, almost as if it is stream-of-consciousness at times. I wouldn't mind this so much if there was a bit more organization to it. Yes, I know...stream-of-consciousness by its very nature seems to be without organization, but that is a misconception. I just felt like Cabot was trying too hard to be mysterious at times. It didn't bother me until the last third of the book, when it just seemed that things got out of hand. There was also a weird plot twist involving the grandmother...and I just didn't care. Anyway, this aspect of the writing is what lowered my rating.

Does this mean that I won't read the next book in the series? NO! I am so going out to find it this weekend! :)

No comments: