Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most!

As always, "Top Ten Tuesday" is brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish. Check them out!


TOP TEN TUESDAY: TOP TEN BOOKS
I RECOMMEND THE MOST!

1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. My favorite book. EVER. There is so much to be gained from reading this one. It is an absorbing read for a kid, but it is amazingly rich for adult readers, too. I love it.

2. The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling. I admit, the first two books weren't that exciting on my first read, but I love the series starting with book three. From there on out, it is my addiction!


3. The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas. This book is so crazy, but I LOVE it. It involves parallel universe theory and all kinds of crazy elements. So good!

4. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I've discussed this one on the blog before, and most of you have already read it (just like you've read the HP series!), but it is worth saying that I think this is one of the most important YA series ever written. I love it.


5. The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Like Southern Gothic?? Yes, please! This book is one of my favorite books ever because of the atmosphere and characters. LOVE IT.

6. Darkroom by Lila Quintero Weaver. Darkroom is a graphic novel on par with To Kill a Mockingbird. You definitely need to check it out. Wow.

7. Bleak House by Charles Dickens. My favorite Dickens novel EVER. I know some people groan at the thought of reading it (it is really long), but I love this one. I love the writing and the characters.


8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Need a side of crazy to go with your romance? Then this one is for you. I used to think this story was so romantic, but after reading it several (*cough*...more like five more...*cough*) times, I am of the opinion that Heathcliff is one of the most pathetic male leads I have ever seen...and Cathy is totally insane. What a pair, huh? Still, I love this book.

9. How to Seduce a Scoundrel by Vicky Dreiling. I LOVE this historical romance! It was the first one I ever read by Vicky Dreiling (who is also one of the most awesome people EVER). I laughed so much in this one (and it takes a lot to make me laugh). I also really liked the romance in this book. It was just what I was looking for in a regency!


10. Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati. I can't say enough good things about Into the Wilderness. It is a retelling, in some ways, of The Last of the Mohicans. I love, love, love this book. And, if you like Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, you will love that Jaime and Claire make a cameo! This is such a good story. I enjoyed the second book, too, but I really couldn't get into the rest of the series. Still, this book is good enough on its own to enjoy. READ IT!!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I've only read a few of your picks, but I totally agree on HP and HG. They're both excellent series with a lot of across-the-board appeal. They made my list, too!