What I am reading now: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer


I haven't updated in a while, because our production cycle was crazy at the magazine! Also, because of the delays, we had to jump right into the next issue...which has been crazy and full of challenges, too! I don't have a review ready for you just yet, but I should soon. I just finished a reread of About a Boy (for the online class I am participating in), and I am now in the middle of  Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. I am interested to see how this book will end. So far, I really love it. It is unusual and the main character, young Oskar, has a distinctive voice. I have read some reviews of the book where people found (eventually) the book to be a bit annoying, though every book reviewer also mentioned that Foer is capable of portraying the sense of loss very well. I agree.

This is the first "9/11" book I have been able to summon the courage to read (other than the 9/11 Report). As someone who loves books and writing, one of my first thoughts (after I could actually manage to think again) after the first days of the tragedy passed was that some incredible literature would come out of this event. Still, reading about 9/11 is a difficult thing to do, at least for me. I will discuss my reactions to 9/11 in my actual review of the book, but so far I think this book does a great job of capturing certain emotions I was feeling, even though I was not living in New York.

The imagination is a powerful thing, and I think that Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is doing a great job of capturing what happens to the mind of someone who not only lived in New York/America at the time of the tragedy, but also of someone who lost someone that day. Like I said, I don't have a final verdict yet, but I like it so far.

Comments

Popular Posts