Saturday, September 12, 2015

Vacation: Day 1


Today has been uneventful, and that is a good thing! I'm ready for a bit of calm in my life, so having some free time to write, read, and think is great...as is a venti iced coffee. Clearly, my addition is being fed.

As for the book: I really enjoy Judith Flanders's work. I bought Consuming Passions when I was in Oxford the second time, and it was so much fun to read. If you like social history with a lot of details, then go for it. I'm excited to get started with this one (my vacation purchase). It has taken me a while to get to this point, but I have to say that I really miss engaging in Victorian studies. I've made it one of my goals to get back into it.

This summer was a rough one. There was a health scare with my mom (she's fine, thank goodness), and then lots of other things happened that added to the stress. Good times. During all of this, I realized that I really missed what I will call my "literary life." Of course, I still read as much as always (even though I am bad about blogging about it on here). But I missed being involved in the scholarly side of things. I was feeling really down about it until one of my former professors contacted me a few weeks ago. He teaches at a university out of state, and he is retiring after next semester. This semester, he is teaching his final online class with new material--a class on Oscar Wilde. I like Wilde and know a bit about him, but I haven't read as much of his work as I would like to have read. So, my former professor invited me to participate in his online class, and it has been exactly what I needed to kickstart my interest again and make me feel as if I am engaged in my favorite field. I would really love to go to a Victorian lit conference sometime in the next year, but I can't make my preferred conference this year. That is okay, though, because it gives me time to get some ideas ready and maybe get something ready to present. Either way, I am going to the conference next fall. It is always a good time and fun to engage. It is time to get busy thinking and writing!

I am also working on a novel. I recently made PRO with RWA, so I am excited about that. I doubt I will ever do anything with the manuscript I submitted to them, but it was a big thing for me to actually finish it and submit it. I started it years ago with NaNoWriMo, and finally decided that it was time to put it to good use. So, I finished it and submitted it. Yay! Now I can attend the PRO retreats at the national conference and have access to their blog posts, which are awesome. But anyway: I am working on a different book now, so we will see how that goes!

The last year has made me realize that the most important thing in the world (in terms of personal happiness) is to follow your bliss (as Campbell says). I haven't done this for a long time, and, because of it, every aspect of my life has suffered. It is time to get back to my passions and do what makes me happy. When I have done that, the most amazing opportunities come my way. When I ignore it, I am completely miserable.

So, those are my thoughts for today. :)

More tomorrow.

No comments: