Book shopping and new reads

I said that I wasn't going to buy any other new books after reading The Couple Next Door, but of course I broke that promise to myself! I bought a few new books, including Zadie Smith's NW, Gloria Steinem's My Life on the Road, a new edition of Shakespeare's Hamlet, and Garth Risk Hallberg's City on Fire. So many good books! I am super excited about each of them.


I've started reading City on Fire, and so far I LOVE it. It is a really long book, so it will probably be a while before I report my final thoughts on it! But this is exactly the kind of storytelling I love. The writer is amazing. Though some people have complained about the length (over 1000 pages of smallish print), I think that everything is perfectly written so far. I love it when a writer can create a world that feels so complete, and though I never visited NYC in the 1970s, I feel like I am there in this novel. The characters are fascinating, and I just don't want to put the book down when I'm reading it. Unfortunately, because things have been so busy at work, I've only been able to read before bed at night. In other words, this is going to take me a while to finish!

I'm also rereading Hamlet  on my smaller breaks. I'm not really sure why I felt the need to purchase a new copy of the play, but I did. I go with my gut on these things. You never know what it might lead to in the end in terms of creativity or thought.

Other than that, nothing much is going on. I've just been super busy at work! So, I will keep you posted about City on Fire! Happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts