Thursday, September 01, 2016

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena



(UPDATE BELOW)

Has anyone read this title yet? I'm probably speaking out into the void here, but I'm just interested in getting some thoughts on this book. I've read some reviews (no spoilers), and I heard this praised to the moon and back on the All the Books podcast. I bought it for my birthday, and I'm just having some trouble adjusting to the narrative voice and point of view. The story so far is fine (I'm a little over 100 pages into it), but sometimes I just wish it was told in a different way. Anyway, if you have thoughts, leave a comment!

(UPDATE)
I finished the book, and though it was a quick read, I just couldn't get past the style of the novel. It is just a personal thing. Someone told me (after I described the book to her) that this book sounds like the same type of storytelling as can be found in Girl on the Train. I can't speak to that, because I've never read that book. It isn't that the story isn't any good; the problem for me is that I just never felt like I really got into the head of any character. For me, that is crucial to the reading experience. Still, if you like thrillers, you could go online and read some reviews to see if this might be something you are interested in reading.

No comments: