December Reading Plans!

Hi, everyone! December is here, which means I will have a lot of free time to read!! HOORAY! So, as usual, I am planning ahead, choosing books I really want to read this month and realizing that I probably will change my mind. But that is okay, because at least I still have that bit of freedom left in this country. ;)

My December reading actually begins over the Thanksgiving holidays each year, because I get a few days off and have a chance to read! I checked out Whitehead's The Underground Railroad from the library on a seven-day loan.



I began reading it on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but I didn't get to finish it before the seven days because I had to take my mom to the hospital on Thanksgiving day (asthma attack...she's doing okay now) and then I had my hands full getting her through that and a nasty case of bronchitis, which I was also recovering from. So, I only made it about 150-pages into the novel. I plan to check it out again when I get off for the holidays, so that perhaps I can actually finish it! So far, I am fascinated by the book. I can see why it has won so many awards. It is both devastating and so engaging.

My first two reads officially in December are Groff's Fates and Furies and King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.


I've already started reading both of them, and so far I am really enjoying both. I have seen mixed reviews of Groff's work and had some worries about reading it as my first novel by her, but so far, I really like it.


I have read about four of the short stories in King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I find most of them really engaging, but of course they always leave me feeling slightly off kilter--which, hey, mission accomplished, right? So far, my favorite story has been the first one, "Mile 81," because I love how King so accurately can capture a young person's voice. I also really connected with "Batman and Robin Have an Altercation," about a horrible moment that takes place during a weekly outing between a man and his father, who has Alzheimer's Disease. The only one I didn't like so far was "Premium Harmony," because *somewhat of a spoiler alert* I hate a story where the dog dies.  In any case, so far it has been a good read. (And I really love that cover!!)

The other books I am planning on reading are:





I have copies of everything except Grunt, but my local library has a copy. So, happy holiday reading, everyone! I hope you read some wonderful books!

Comments

Popular Posts